DISCRETE ELEMENT METHOD (DEM)
Creaform’s simulation engineers leverage their experience in numerical methods to provide leading-edge insights through DEM simulations of granular flows.
Creaform Engineering offers DEM consulting services for operators and manufacturers to optimize bulk material handling products and processes. We can provide deep insights into the bulk behavior of particles to optimize the processing and application of granular materials and geomaterials.
OUR DISCRETE ELEMENT METHOD EXPERTISE
Having the capability to solve the particle motion and interaction behavior using massive parallel processing, our team can help you size or troubleshoot a wide range of granular flows. The entire process to obtain reliable and insightful DEM simulations is covered by our engineers.
- Bulk material calibration: Standard tests, such as static and drained “Angle of Repose”
- Particle size distribution: Statistical analysis for cumulative distribution function, scale-up, etc.
- Particle injection: Type of injector, flow rate, initial conditions, etc.
- Particle shape: Spherical, composites made of spheres joined by fixed bonds, clumps made of spheres joined by breakable bonds to model fragmentation, capsule and polyhedral
- Inter-particle and wall contact modeling: Hertz-Mindlin, linear spring rolling resistance, linear cohesion, etc.
- Erosion: Abrasive wear due to scouring along walls, impact wear due to direct impact, etc.
- Phase interaction with fluids: Two-way or one-way coupling, drag, shear lift, rotational lift, etc.
- Heat: Conduction heat transfer between particles and between particles and walls, impact heat generation, etc.
- Mixing: Solid mixing and spray coating
- Moving boundaries: Tangential velocity for conveyors, sliding mesh for rotational equipment, overset mesh for complex motions, etc.
TYPES OF MATERIALS
- Minerals, such as rocks, ores, coal
- Capsules and tablets
- Food particles
When simulating bulk material using DEM, it is crucial to properly calibrate the material for the application. This is achieved by balancing the computational cost and the particle size as well as shape using interaction parameters, such as restitution coefficients, friction coefficients and cohesion forces. Our team has developed an optimal approach, both time-saving and reliable, that consists of using the latest scientific data to treat a given material, and then fine-tuning the parameters using a minimal number of on-site calibration tests with the precise material being simulated.
Learn more about how Creaform Engineering has helped manufacturers in different business sectors with their DEM simulations.
Facilitate your DEM simulations and analyses
Whether you are an SMB or multi-national company, count on Creaform’s experts to train your staff on a variety of topics related to DEM analyses.
Our training programs come in a variety of packages and feature: theory, written exercises, hands-on practice, real-life case studies, and much more!
Creaform’s entire engineering services team specializes in the world’s most often-used testing and engineering software solutions: