AIRCRAFT INTERIOR DESIGN AND SUBSTANTIATION
CLIENT : CAF Aviation
INDUSTRY : Aerospace
CAF Aviation, a manufacturer of VIP aircraft interiors, teamed up with Creaform in order to design, substantiate and manage the manufacturing of an entire section of an Airbus A319 private jet. The end customer, Airbus Corporate Jet Center (ACJC), relied on Creaform to perform the aerospace engineering tasks of the entire project, from the design definition to the final installation of the furniture in the aircraft.
From an initial general layout provided by ACJC, Creaform designed the entire aircraft section to meet all functional requirements, including furniture design as well as plumbing and electrical integration. The team also built finite element models, using Femap and NEi Nastran, to certify the robustness of designs with a precise and complete stress evaluation. Materials, manufacturing processes as well as electrical and plumbing systems were all physically tested to complete the certification process with Transport Canada.
Creaform was also in charge of the manufacturing liaison as well as the supervision of the final assembly and installation of the furniture into the aircraft at Airbus’s site.
- Aircraft mechanical design, including structures, fittings, mechanisms, plumbing, etc.
- 3D and 2D CAD drawings
- Definition of structural substantiation methodology and techniques
- Finite elements modeling, using strict standards (Nastran)
- Margins of safety calculations for metallic, composite and interface joints (rivets, bonding, fasteners, fittings)
- Manufacturing liaison
- Electrical design, including integration, routing, harness design, etc.
- Weight, materials and process management.
- Preparation of test plans and procedures for certification
- Static linear and non-linear analysis for flight loading, decompression and abuse loading (FAR Part 25 or CAR 525)
- Results presentation to the end customer and production of all methodology and substantiation reports for certification
- Final delivery and installation supervision on site
TOOLS AND METHODS USED
Based on the client’s needs, Creaform used the following tools and methods:
- NEi Nastran